A Mantra worth Reading every day!
Before I begin, the picture at the beginning of my blog post is not my own. It is of a watch worn by Jocko Willink whom I will reference later in the article.
In 2024, I rise with the sun – or before the sun, energized and focused. My morning routine sets the tone for my success, allowing me to conquer my day with efficiency and grace. With each early start, I embrace the opportunity to serve my clients and care for their pools with excellence. I prioritize my well-being, knowing that a balanced breakfast and mindful preparation lay the foundation for a productive day.
As I embark on my daily journey, I optimize my schedule, strategically navigating from one pool to the next. I approach each task with dedication, ensuring that no minute is wasted. I stay hydrated and nourished, sustaining my strength as I bring clarity and sparkle to every pool under my care.
At midday, I pause to replenish my energy embracing the brief break in my routine before continuing my quest. With each completed task, I reflect on my progress, seeking opportunities for improvement and celebrating my achievements.
As the day draws to a close, I find solace in knowing that I have given my all. I take time to unwind, embracing the peace that comes with a day well spent. With gratitude in my heart, I welcome the evening, ready to rise once more with the dawn.
In 2024, this will be my mantra, guiding me to success and fulfillment in my pool care business.
My Goal for 2024: Optimize My Morning Routine
A proper morning routine can help you manage your time more effectively and complete your pool maintenance tasks on time. Here is the best optimized morning routine for you! I will be working to follow this routine in 2024. I will keep you all posted as to my progress in the coming months.
1. Wake Up Earlier: Have you had Jocko Willink pop up in your Instagram Feed? Or maybe you follow him. Jocko posts pictures of his watch always around the 4am time frame. Aim to wake up around 4:30 – 5am. This will give you ample time to fully wake up, have breakfast, read, work out, and prepare for your day. I currently hit the snooze and get up sometime in between 5:30 and 6. The later it gets I feel rushed getting started with my day and then I feel like I am running behind right off the bat.
2. Exercise: Spend about 30 minutes doing light exercise. This could be a quick jog, some stretching, or maybe a brisk walk. Whatever helps to wake up your body and get you in the right mindset for the day. I started out 2023 with a vision board. I had four lofty goals, one of which included exercising. The older I get I realize how important it will be to make this routine a habit in my life. Other than walking and working through my pool routes and repairs every day, no additional exercising happened. I did however exceed my financial goals for 2023 I really need to incorporate an exercise routine into my day.
3. Breakfast: Have a healthy breakfast. In Jordan Petersons book, “12 Rules for Life” Jordan recommends having a high protein breakfast first thing in the morning to fuel your body and brain. Try to include protein, fruits, and whole grains in your meal.
4. Prepare for The Day: A few days ago, I walked out the door without my raincoat and hat. Of course, it was kind of rainy and cold that day. I thought maybe I should create a checklist. Something like a pilot goes through before even starting his airplane. I’ve been known to forget my wallet. One day I even forgot to hitch up my Power Vac pool cleaner. I recommend spending at least 30 minutes preparing for your day. This includes going over your pool service schedule, ensuring you have all the equipment or chemicals you need. Check the weather forecast for the day and go through a checklist to be sure you have your wallet, phone, keys, pool vac, etc. on the truck and ready to go. Create a checklist on your phone. This will make it fast and easy.
Preparing for my day is usually a routine I start as soon as I pull in the driveway each day. I empty trash right away. I look at my route for the next day and load up any additional chemical I might need. This makes getting started each morning a breeze. I can normally get in the truck and go.
5. Start Work Early: Try to be at the first job as soon as there’s enough light. Depending on your location and time of year, this could be anywhere from 6:30 to 7:30 in the morning. Currently in Texas during day light savings and in January the sun rises at 7:20. I try to be at my first pool around 6:45 – 7am.
6. Efficient Scheduling: Schedule your pools based on their proximity to each other to minimize travel time. If possible, schedule your biggest or most time-consuming jobs first while you have the most energy and daylight. For me it’s just a matter of being at my first route pool that day as early as possible before it gets dark which happens around 5:30PM. It’s never easy to get all the jobs complete in the winter when the days are shorter.
7. Lunch: Watch what you eat! Another new goal of mine for 2024. It’s so easy to grab a gas station burrito or run through a drive thru at your closest fast-food joint along your route. This is killing my waistline. Time to watch what I eat!
8. Stay Hydrated: Summers in Texas are brutal. I freeze water bottles overnight and pack 6 of those in my lunch. It keeps my lunch cold and makes for a cool refreshing drink around midday. They usually last and stay cold until I am finished for the day. I am also carrying several 44oz drinks in the truck to start the day. When its triple digits for months on end it is very important to stay hydrated.
9. End of Day Review: At the end of your workday, review your progress. If you didn’t manage to finish all your tasks, consider what you could do differently tomorrow. Could you start earlier? Do you need to adjust your work speed or take fewer breaks? Maybe its social media keeping your attention. It is easy to get distracted.
10. Unwind: Once you’re done for the day, take some time to relax and unwind. This could involve a hobby, spending time with your family, or just enjoying some quiet time to yourself. Again, this is another goal of mine for 2024. It’s hard for me to shut it off.
Remember, it may take some time to adjust to waking up earlier and/or changing your routine. Be patient with yourself. Adjust this routine as needed to match your personal needs and preferences. You may need to talk it over with your spouse or significant other. Let them know about the changes you need to make in your business and let them know why…
PS: Coffee may or may not help you conquer your pool care business goals! Let me know in the comments. How have you optimized your daily routine?
If you would like some great resources on how to build better habits and become disciplined in your life and business. Here are two great books that have impacted my life and business. Don’t just read… Implement.
Tap into even more successful tips for your business. Check out, The Four Pillars of Your Pool Care Business Success.